Typography & Hypertextuality-Final Project

TYPOGRAPHY & HYPERTEXTUALITY - FINAL PROJECT ( KINETIC TYPOGRAPHY)

22 November 2017 - 29 November 2017 ( week 12 to week 13)

Wu Xin Ying (0328708)

Typography & Hypertextuality

Kinetic Typography


LECTURE
Lecture 12
For today's lecture, Mr Vinod has explained the differences between leading and line spacing. Leading is the space between the descender line of a row of text and the ascender line of another row of text while line spacing is the space between the baseline of two rows of text. Moreover, Mr Vinod also mentioned that the line space should be 3 points larger than the actual font size in order to produce a good leading.

Fig.1 Example of leading and line spacing

Lecture 13
No lecture for this week.


INSTRUCTIONS





PROJECT

At the first week of the project start, I have done some sketches of my kinetic poster.
Fig. 2 First design

Fig.3 Second design ( Selected)

After selected the design that I wanted, I start to digitize it in Adobe Illustrator.


Fig.4 Digitized poster in Adobe Illustrator

After that, I started to animate the poster in Adobe Photoshop.


Fig.5 Animating my poster


Fig.6 Thumbnails of animated poster

Fig.7 Animated poster GIF


FEEDBACK
Week 12
For my blog, Mr Vinod told me that i need to include labels in my blog for each project. Next, I need to arrange and adjust the content in my blog so that it look clean. For the Typography poster, Mr Shamsul said that the design of my poster need to express my font and try not to get references from google.

Week 13
After Mr Vinod and Mr shamsul checked my typography poster, Mr Vinod said that I need to increase the amount of words below and make them smaller to seem like a road. After I finished the correction, Mr Shamsul said that the border of my poster is not even and need to fix it. After that, Mr Vinod told me that I need to remove the border and make the words below continuously without gaps and make it 5 lines.

REFLECTION

Experience
When I started to sketch my poster, I found that my design is too messy and it does not express the design of my font. In my first sketch, Mr Shamsul said that my font size is too small and cannot see the characteristic of my font well.

Observation
I plan to redraw my poster. I had done some research and found some of the poster and use them as my references to design a new poster.

Findings
I realize that references are very important to done the assignments. They give a guideline for us and inspire us to design something that we desire.

BOOK OF THE WEEK

The 3D type Book by Andrew Byrom


Fig.8 Front cover of the book

Fig.9 Back cover of the book

This book is a handbook, source of inspiration and the most comprehensive showcase so far that focuses 100 per cent on three- dimensional experimental letterforms, sculptural shape- shifting letters, tactile experiences and surprising and inventive ways to interpret the alphabet, ranging from beautiful and humorous to poetic,witty and conceptual.

3D typography: Designs that manage to cling to typographic conventions, such as a universal x-height, baseline, proportions and so on. Examples of this are the typography created for the artist Skin by Shotopop and the Typeface typeface, constructed by Rafael Farias using the (dot matrix-like) grid found in the laces and grommets on a pair of shoes.

3D lettering: Here objects are found, arranged and manipulated to create letters. Examples of this include Clotilde olyff's Pebbles, a series of found objects collected over 20 years and Jorger-Stauss's Days of Literature, where yarn replaces the line of a pen. The work of Stefan Sagmenister looms large in this area. From his lettering constructed for fashion designer Anni Kuan, to the title sequence for The Happy Film, Sagmeister has had a profound effect on our current hand-built aesthetic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advertising Principles and Practice

Usability and Mobile Application II

Design Research Dissertation