Typography & Hypertextuality - Project 1 (STORY BOOK)






TYPOGRAPHY & HYPERTEXTUALITY Project 1(STORY BOOK)

4 October 2017 - 25 October 2017 (Week 5 - Week  8)

Wu Xin Ying (0328708)

Typography and Hypertextuality

A story book

Lecture 5

For today's class, Mr Vinod brief us on our project 1 ( Story book: Mr Babadook ). After that, Mr Shamsul gave us an introduction to Adobe InDesign.

Lecture 6
No lecture on this week. We were working on our first project.

Lecture 7 
Letter/ Understanding letterforms:
It was very important to understand the details on each typeface well as a little changes show a huge different.

Letters / Maintaining x-height:
The curved strokes , for example in letter 'a', 's' and 'o' must rise above the median or sink below the baseline to appear to be the same size as the vertical and horizontal strokes they adjoin.

Letters / Form / Counterform:

Fig.1 Example of counterform


Lecture 8

No lecture on this week. Mr Vinod brief us on project 2 ( Font Design ).


INSTRUCTIONS






My Final Art Work
Fig.2 First page of story book
Fig.3 2nd and 3rd page of story book


Fig.4 4th and 5th page of story book

Fig.5 6th and 7th page of story book

Fig.6 8th and 9th page of story book

Fig.7 10th and 11th page of story book

Fig.8 12th and 13th page of story book

Fig.9 14th and 15th page of story book

Fig.10 16th and 17th page of story book

Fig.11 18th and 19th page of story book

Fig.12 20th and 21st page of story book

Fig.13 22nd and 23rd page of story book

Fig.14  24th page of story book

Thumbnails of story book


Fig.15 Thumbnails of page 1 to 17

Fig.16 Thumbnails of page 18 to 24



Photo of printed book


Fig. 17 Front page of printed book




Fig.18 Page 12 & 13 of printed book


Final story book in PDF
Link to my final art work of Mr Babadook: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5e_HMGPVxq8U3pUWV94SXMwVjA/view?usp=sharing




Final Animated Art Work
Youtube link: https://youtu.be/egvnFy1x4qE



Feedback
Week 5
Specific feedback: For my blog, Mr Vinod told me to include the works(before and after feedback) so that it shows more works I had done. Mr Shamsul told me that i have to fix my blog as the spacing should be balance between each paragraph. Moreover, Mr Shamsul said that the size of my caption should be smaller and I need to adjust my text size so that it looks more clean and suitable. I also need to include reflection and the description of my animated name.
General feedback: Then, the background of blog need to be white and don't change the background with picture so that it allow us to look easier. Mr Vinod also reminded us to pay attention when Mr Shamsul explaining the information about In Design so that we will not face a lot of difficulties while doing assignment 1.

Week 6

Specific feedback: Firstly, Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul told me that I need to include the name of the typeface I used with 7pt at the first page of the book. Next, Mr Vinod also told me that cannot add stroke on the words. Moreover, Mr Vinod reminded us that if we want to add mew page, we need to add 4 pages at the same time. Next, Mr Shamsul told me that if I want to write a paragraph of words, I need to reduce the size of the words so that it doesn't looks too crowd. Mr Vinod told me that my DEAD is too corner and I need adjust it.
General feedback: Mr Vinod reminded us to use 7 points to type the name of typeface at the front page. Moreover, he also reminded us that the typeface we use should be only one.

Week 7

Specific feedback: For my lettering, Mr Vinod told me that the word should not be sharp and round so that it looks smooth. Besides, the word also must be in black and white. For the animation of my name, I have to add more slides so that the animation look smoother. For the type expression, my deep and crooked is okay but my noisy, jumbo, dig and hollow need to refine. Mr Vinod also told me that don't always use italic for the type expression.
General feedback: Mr Vinod told us that all of the digital works must be done in illustrator, not photoshop. He also told us that we should manage our time well and done our work on time. Moreover, Mr Vinod also reminded us to walk around and take a look on others' work and not just sit on our own table.

Week 8

Specific feedback: For my printed book, Mr Vinod told me that it's not bad but still can improve and it will be better if do nore variations. For the animated book, Mr Shamsul said that some of my animation doesn't express the words and too many repeatation. Mr Shamsul suggested me to do some adjustments on speed and some of the words no need to animate it. 
General feedback: For the eportfolio for project 1, Mr Vinod suggested that we have to create a black outline for the thumbnails of the book so that it can look clearly in the blog.

Reflection

Experience
Week five: When Mr Shamsul just gave us an introduction to Adobe InDesign, I was very lost and did many mistakes as I did not get used to Adobe InDesign. Week six; After I shown my first trial of the story book to my lecturers, I found that some of the pages of the story book were not connected with the others. Week seven; I faced many problems and lacking of ideas when arranging the words and sentences in the story book. Week eight; For the animation of the story book, I found very difficult to animate the words and sentences.

Observation

Week five: I tried to do more and more practice in Adobe InDesign and tried to get familiar with the software. Week six; I tried to observe my classmate's work and took them as a references and learn from their mistakes and successes. Week seven; I tried to do some research on Internet and get the opinions and feedback from my lecturers to solve my problems. Week eight;  After I get feedback from my lecturers, I found that it is not necessary to animate all of the words and sentences in the story book.

Findings

Week five: After many and many practice done by using Adobe InDesign, I started to get used to Adobe InDesign and able to done my work successfully. Week six; After observed some of the art work from my classmates, I had improved my art work and it get better and better. Week seven; I finally done my story book successfully and get the approval from my lecturers to move forward to the animation part of the story book. Week eight; I found that some of the words and sentences can be expressed well even if doesn't apply any animation on them. Moreover, the timing and the speed of the animation also very important in order to express the words well.


Book of the week
Type team (Perfect Typeface Combinations) by Tony Seddon


Fig.19 Front cover of the book

Fig.20 Back cover of the book
This book provides the information and inspiration that required to make the best choices when bringing typefaces together. 

For example, Cabazon, designed by Jim Parkinson in 2005, is a textura-style Black letter revival that succeeds where others fail because it's relatively free of the fussy details that create legibility issues with other Black letter faces. Combine it with 2012's Eskapade Fraktur from TypeTogether for a modern take on the medieval theme and for small text such as captions or footnotes use Hoefler & Co.'s Gothic-style sans serif Whitney with its distinctive angled terminals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advertising Principles and Practice

Usability and Mobile Application II

Design Research Dissertation